When you learn my final EpiPen experiment publish, then you definately noticed my discovery that EpiPens heated on the dashboard of a automotive will fireplace lower than half the time. Temperatures within the 180s and 190s Fahrenheit are clearly sufficient to wreck an EpiPen. However will the warmth contained in the glove field additionally injury an EpiPen?
It’s spectacular that excessive warmth compromises EpiPen machine integrity. It’s additionally necessary to know. However more often than not when folks depart their epinephrine within the automotive, they don’t depart it on the dashboard, in full solar, and dealing with south. It’s both by chance, or as a result of they retailer it there.
When somebody shops an EpiPen within the warmth of a automotive, they’ll sometimes depart it within the glove field or one other compartment. When folks depart their EpiPens in a scorching automotive by chance, they often have it in a handbag or bag of some kind. In these conditions, the EpiPens would nonetheless get extremely popular, however wouldn’t attain the 195 levels I achieved on the dashboard. So I additionally did an experiment to see if EpiPens would jam when left within the automotive underneath extra regular consumer situations.
Experiment 2: Glove Field Warmth impact on an EpiPen
Concurrently my dashboard warmth experiment, I had 20 extra EpiPens in my automotive. These have been in my glove field. The very best temperature I recorded in my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
I adopted the identical protocols with these EpiPens. I had 10 matched pairs to manage for consumer injury previous to them reaching me. One from every pair, I fired whereas nonetheless scorching from the automotive. The opposite, I fired after permitting it to return to room temperature.
The outcomes of this experiment weren’t fairly as spectacular. Every EpiPen uncovered to warmth in my glove field fired usually. I don’t know the place the break level of an EpiPen is, however I’ve narrowed it all the way down to someplace between 137 and 195 levels Fahrenheit.
To be sincere, I type of want among the glove field EpiPens had jammed. For one, it wasn’t a really thrilling video, nor did it reveal the hazard of leaving epinephrine within the warmth. However for 2, I fear that it could trigger a false sense of safety for some folks.
There are nonetheless individuals who depart EpiPens of their automotive on goal. Normally, that is on the premise that they’re usually close to their automotive, in order that they assume retaining it within the automotive is a method to all the time have it accessible.
Sadly, this can be a very unhealthy observe, and never simply because the EpiPen itself can jam underneath the proper situations. Quite a few research have demonstrated that the drug epinephrine shortly loses its efficacy when uncovered to warmth. And this occurs at temperatures which can be a lot decrease than recorded on my dashboard. One latest examine confirmed that leaving an EpiPen within the automotive as soon as can scale back the efficient dose of the drug inside, by as a lot as 13-14%!
Simply as you don’t need your EpiPen to misfire if you want it, you additionally need to be sure you get a full dose of treatment should you go into anaphylaxis. Due to this fact, it is vitally necessary to just remember to shield your EpiPens from warmth. Chilly will not be as damaging, however warmth very clearly damages EpiPens, and in additional methods than one. Preserve these Epis cool, people!
You’ll be able to watch the video of me firing these EpiPens on YouTube right here.
For these of you who like numbers and specifics, listed here are the main points of my experiment.
- My automotive is darkish blue. I parked it dealing with south in full solar.
- Exterior highs have been within the 80s most days.
- 20 Pens have been on the sprint, instantly in full daylight (the cookie sheet was so they’d all match on my sloped sprint.)
- 20 Pens have been within the glove field, which didn’t get fairly as scorching, however higher displays the conduct of oldsters who retailer Epis within the automotive.
- I cooked the Pens in my automotive every day for
two weeksEnded up being 6 weeks.
- My automotive retreated to the storage in a single day.
- For half of the time, I recorded dashboard temperature each ten minutes.
- For the opposite half of the time, I recorded glove field temperature each ten minutes.
- Jen from Blue Bear Conscious offered us with the instruments to precisely document the temperatures. Thanks Jen!
- I used this machine to measure temperatures. It’s small and programmable, nice for monitoring treatment temp, although a bit techy.
- I paired off the 2-packs that initially got here collectively and clearly labeled them (A-a, B-b, and so on.)
- A by means of J have been on the sprint, Q by means of Z have been within the glove field.
- On the conclusion, I allowed the capital-letter-labeled Pens to return to room temperature earlier than firing them, and fired the lower-case-labeled Pens whereas nonetheless scorching.
- Expirations ranged from November 2013 to December 2017.
- Expirations have been evenly distributed between the sprint and glove field.
- I didn’t use any Pens that expired between April 2017 and October 2017. That was the time vary of Mylan’s recall (my final experiment concerned Pens that expired August 2017, which was in between recalled tons.) I needed to ensure this experiment was not impacted by Pens that ought to have been recalled however weren’t!
twosix weeks, we behaved like a one-car household so my automotive may completely cook dinner EpiPens.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my dashboard was 195.four levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures on the dashboard frequently reached the 180s.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures within the glove field frequently reached the 120s.
When you discover this form of content material useful (it’s difficult and time-consuming) please think about supporting us on Patreon. Our Patrons really do assist us preserve this form of factor going!