In hindsight, our son Alex (aka “Buddy”) had abdomen points that have been with him so long as I can bear in mind. My husband Kevin and I simply didn’t understand that they weren’t typical childhood “illnesses.” Between Buddy being a quiet baby and the widespread basic signs, nothing ever rose to the extent of panic or continued concern.
When Buddy was eight, we moved abroad with the U.S. Air Power. After a number of months there, his abdomen pains gave the impression to be getting worse. We chalked it as much as stress from the transfer, as a result of Buddy was positively an anxious baby who internalized feelings greater than our different kids. However when he started to develop thinner and thinner, and his abdomen pains brought about him to cry and double over – even waking him up at night time – I lastly realized it was extra than simply stress.
I’ll always remember the day I used to be given Alex’s prognosis. (Truly, the weekend…I used to be instructed on a Friday.) I cried, and panicked, (and possibly drank a few case of wine.) Alex was utterly illiberal and allergic to only about each meals group on the planet. What was I going to feed this baby who was losing away as a result of all the pieces he ate damage him? My full-time job turned attempting to determine simply another factor I may make for him, that he may eat. I’m certain a lot of you possibly can relate!
Once we moved again to the U.S. in 2015, I used to be so excited as a result of the USA has all the pieces proper? Complete Meals, Dealer Joes, and many others….The issue was that Alex’s meals points have been so complete and broad that I couldn’t discover ONE product, not to mention a dessert, that didn’t have no less than one of many gadgets on his forbidden record. I may discover gluten and nut free, however not egg free; Or egg free however not gluten free or soy free. On the lookout for muffins or cookies to deal with him, or to ship with him to highschool for “celebration” days -without eggs or gluten or soy- that didn’t style like dry cardboard, was like looking for the Holy Grail. It simply DID NOT exist. So, like all mother of an allergy-kiddo, I needed to simply work out how you can make it. I couldn’t stand another unfair tear from Alex not having the ability to eat what everybody else may eat, or not having the ability to be included in birthday events or benefit from the sweets at sleepovers; typical childhood experiences.
So, after months and month of failed recipes and makes an attempt, I lastly created a listing of recipes for muffins and cookies that Alex may eat. Nice information, proper? Properly, sort-of… The issue was that many of the recipes required costly elements, and the large batches of desserts solely lasted a day or two as a result of they lacked moisture and fats. The expense and the waste have been changing into an actual drawback for me. I HATE meals waste, and albeit, we couldn’t afford it.
I wanted to create a secure single serving dessert that was helpful, straightforward to make, and scrumptious… Then, one wonderful day – almost 2 years after Buddy’s prognosis – I attempted out my latest creation, a single serving of my “secret recipe” allergen-free mug cake, and acquired the overwhelming and ever-coveted verbal stamp of approval from my husband and three choosy kids.
I invented Buddy Muffins, partially, to unravel my drawback of meals waste, as they’re single-serving parts. What I didn’t understand, on the time of creation, was what number of different issues they solved for me, and might resolve for different meals allergen pals:
- They’re extremely fast to make; only one minute or so within the microwave and they’re baked.
- They don’t require an oven, so there’s no fear about forgetting to show it off or the children hurting themselves attempting to make a deal with. (Though they can be baked within the oven, if desired!)
- There isn’t a threat of overeating or consuming an excessive amount of “junk” meals since every Buddy Cake packet makes one good serving!
- Buddy Muffins + Frostings are completely transportable. Take them on the go! They’re good to take to sleepovers, playdates, or to maintain at school school rooms or dorm rooms. (All that’s required is oil and “milk” – dairy or non-dairy – and a microwave, which most faculties and dorms have!)
- They’re versatile! Bake some mini Buddy-cupcakes forward of a highway journey or to tackle the airplane or to the seaside! Certainly one of our favourite choices is making Buddy Cake Bites to tackle the go! (see web site underneath “Recipes”)
- THEY ARE FUN!! Go forward…combine and match muffins and frostings! The truth is, Buddy Muffins are a fantastic different to any get together cake (allergen-free or not) as a result of you possibly can set out a choice of cake mixes and frostings with a home-made topping bar and let the creative “baking” run amuck! And don’t neglect to take a look at BuddysAF.com for artistic “Buddy Cake Variations!”
Having a small enterprise that permits me to deliver smiles to children’ faces, to deliver again the enjoyment and anticipation of delicious dessert to those that have needed to settle or go with out due to meals allergic reactions and challenges, is likely one of the happiest points of my life! I simply hope to unfold the grins so far as I can with Buddy’s Allergen Free!
Your Buddy Laura!
Buddy’s Allergen Free