eat meals harvested near house, get pleasure from recent & tasty ontario bounty all yr spherical.
Do you know that over 40% of all produce out there in Canada is imported, together with vegatables and fruits that develop in Canada¹?!
So as a substitute of shopping for produce that has traveled hundreds of miles, why not spend our cash on meals which have been grown regionally, are tastier, brisker and profit our provincial financial system?
Once we purchase native meals, we’re supporting native growers and sustainable farming practices; we eat meals which are higher for us, the surroundings, and extra importantly our style buds! All that good things whereas we assist cut back meals miles (due to this fact air pollution) and packaging waste.
At RFRK, sourcing native, sustainably grown meals has at all times been a precedence.
We care in regards to the high quality of our meals and the place it comes from, and we all know you do too!
Nurturing good relationships with our suppliers additionally means higher traceability. It permits for transparency alongside the worth chain from “farm to fork” and allows us to know the place our meals come from, how they have been farmed and transported, what goes into them, and who performs what position alongside the best way.
Partnering with trusted native producer companions allows us to create merchandise with particular elements and dietary guardrails which are aligned with our mission, values, and promise.
From vegatables and fruits to cheese curds, granola, natural turkey, beef, yogurt, and extra!
Children can dig into native meals year-round!
In a nutshell*, because of this we select regionally and sustainably grown meals, and why it’s best to too:
- They’re brisker, better-tasting, longer-lasting, and extra nutritious
- They protect agricultural land and open areas
- They assist maintain a various, resilient meals system and encourages new generations to begin farming
- They preserve our cash within the native financial system, serving to to take care of sturdy native communities
- Once we know our farmers, we all know the place our meals comes from and the way it was produced
*RFRK is nut-free, the one nuts we use are in weblog publish idioms!
After all, with regards to regionally produced items, we’re not the one ones on the desk… With over 3,000 meals and beverage processing companies in Ontario, our provincial agri-food sector is an enormous financial drive, producing greater than $63 billion in annual sales².
There’s so much occurring to make sure that meals and regionally made merchandise are accessible to households all through Ontario. In truth, The Ontario Greenbelt has established the Native Meals Funding Fund for farmers and producers. By offering investments to gas sustainable agriculture, extra native meals will get onto folks’s plates.
Greenbelt Fund grants assist improve:
- market entry for farmers
- the quantity of native meals bought by establishments like hospitals and universities
- meals literacy and consciousness
how we will all assist sustainable & regionally grown meals
At RFRK, we do our greatest to supply your little ones with native produce and merchandise all through our seasonal menus, however having fun with native meals doesn’t have to finish there. Listed here are enjoyable methods for your loved ones to get pleasure from Ontario meals all yr spherical:
- Present love for all issues grown and made in Ontario throughout Native Meals Week (yearly through the first week of June): A lot of seasonal fruits and veggies like cherries, rhubarb, cucumber, mushrooms, lettuce, peas, radish, candy potatoes, and extra are on the peak of freshness! Go to your native farmer’s market, select Ontario grown meals at your neighbourhood grocery store, prepare dinner scrumptious meals (search for the Foodland brand) and eat out at one in every of over 100 Feast ON eating places.
- Uncover the bounty of Ontario:Take a chunk out of Ontario Tourism by means of guided farm excursions, winery visits, and weekend getaways within the countryside. The Culinary Tourism Alliance is a good useful resource for planning your subsequent household journey!
- Decide up groceries at your native Farmer’s’ Market: It’s simple to buy regionally grown meals due to the accessibility of Ontario grown and made merchandise. Whether or not you reside in downtown Toronto or a small group outdoors of the large metropolis, the Toronto Farmer’s Markets Community and Farmers’ Markets Ontario are useful web sites for finding a market near you!
- Determine what’s in season:Everyone knows that good issues develop in Ontario however if you wish to make sure you’re getting our province’s freshest and tastiest produce, browse the Foodland Ontario Availability Information. Their web site has tons of recipes and diet data too!
- Turn out to be a CSA member: Neighborhood Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a straightforward approach for households to straight entry and assist nutritious farm merchandise. Seasonal orders are usually delivered weekly to a handy pick-up location and embrace merchandise like recent produce, eggs, cheese, and poultry. Take a look at the Ontario CSA Farm Listing for farm info and merchandise availability.
- Be taught extra about the advantages of the Ontario Greenbelt:Ontario’s Good Fortune report gives an up to date evaluation of the worth of pure capital in Ontario’s Greenbelt area. It additionally reveals the way you straight profit from this protected agricultural land and inexperienced area.
How does your loved ones assist native meals?